Thursday, February 20, 2014

Learning from Lefty

I had the unique privilege of attending a funeral today for a man I never really knew. It was my wife's dad's uncle who had lived a good full life and had moved on to a much better place. I'll come back to this in a minute. 

Life has been extremely busy as I late hence the reason I haven't really been writing a lot. There have been a lot of changes at work and with a 7 month old, I'm learning something new every day. My time seems to be pulled between home and work. I'm doing the best I can and that's all I can do. 

It's amazing how quickly our life can get filled up with things to do. We get so busy doing that sometimes we forget to be. When my wife and I started dating, she had a note stuck to her fridge that I will always remember because it struck me so profoundly. It went like this:

Be still and know that I am God. 
Be still and know that I am. 
Be still and know. 
Be still. 
Be. 

Let me take you back to the funeral. This man was affectionately known as Lefty. I won't get into the story behind the name, but Lefty was man that I learned today loved his family an would do anything for them. Most of all, Lefty loved his wife. Ironically, he passed away on Valentine's Day to be with his bride in a already in heaven. But what really stood out to me today was that during the eulogy, his grandson said this: "Gramps would always give to everyone else before himself, especially grandma." What a beautiful thing to say about someone. But it was from knowing how to "be", that he was able to give. He knew who he was, which meant he knew what he didn't need which allowed him to give. 

I hope in the busyness of my life I always remember to put others before myself. I hope that in "being", that I learn who i am that I know what I don't need which will allow me to give. May people say about me that "he gave of himself for others, especially his wife." What a great legacy to have. That's the legacy I desire to leave. 

Thank you Lefty for being a great example to so many people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment