Friday, October 19, 2012

What Are You Cooking?

Do you remember walking into your mom's house and smelling the fragrant delight of her toils in a hot kitchen and think to yourself that I just can't wait to sink my teeth into what she is cooking?  Often times, I am sure that you could even know what she was cooking just by the scent of what was permeating from the kitchen.  The best part is, you knew that what was being cooking was for you.  Oh the aromas.

For me, there are two smells that really stand out when I came home.  The first smell was usually cooked during the week either on a Monday or Tuesday.  I don't know why it was on those days, but I can remember coming in from school and getting smacked in the face by the smells of cabbage soup.  Now let me explain something.  I have not been, I am not and I probably never will be a fan of cabbage soup or the smells associated with it.  Honestly, it smelled like a sporting bag being found months later after a demanding game.  You first reaction was to try and control your gag reflex as you crawled with any strength you had left for the door.  It just wasn't pleasant at all (sorry mom!) but yet she was a fan of cabbage soup.

The second memory associated with smells from my mom's kitchen almost always happened after church on Sunday. Yes, you probably guessed, it was mom's roast beef dinner.  Reaching in trying to grab a small piece of the dad's carvings usually got your hands smacked followed by strict orders to get out of the kitchen until dinner was ready.  But that aroma, that comforting smell was like a warm blanket on a cold winter's days.  It just wrapped around you and sucked you in and said, "I love you".  My mouth is drooling now as I just think about it.  Words really cannot justly describe that pleasant nostril sensory overload.

I've just started a chronological reading plan of the bible with some friends. (NOTE: If you want to read the bible this way click on this link: Chronological Reading.)  It is a great read so far but the way things are popping off the page at me kind of catches me by surprise.  I've read the bible before but this time, things are grabbing my attention and I find myself asking, "How did I miss that before?".   In today's reading, God had just saved Noah, his family and the animals from the destruction of the earth.  Once God had given the okay, Noah and his entourage departed the world's first mighty ship, the bible says, 
"Then Noah built an altar to the LORD, and there he sacrificed as burnt offerings the animals and birds that had been approved for that purpose.  And the LORD was pleased with the aroma of the sacrifice and said to Himself, 'I will never again curse the ground because of the human race, even though everything they think or imagine is bent toward evil from childhood.  I will never again destroy all living things.  As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night'"(Genesis 8:20-22).

The sacrifice was pleasing to God.  
Immediately, my mind is brought back to my reading yesterday about Cain and Abel and the sacrifices that they offered to God.  Both brought a sacrifice, but only Abel brought his best.  Cain's offering was rejected because God got a whiff of the cabbage soup.  But Abel's offering was accepted and favour was shown to Abel because his Sunday dinner was presented from his best efforts.  Abel's offering pleased God and was a satisfying aroma.

What are you bringing to the table?  When you come to God, are you bringing your best offering?  Are you using the talents that He has given you to bring glory to Him and offer a sweet smelling aroma for God to enjoy?

I'm not hugely talented when it comes to sports, art or music.  I don't have a bucketload of money sitting around collecting dust.  My intellect isn't bursting off the top of the charts (just ask my brothers ... lol).   BUT ... whatever I do have, I want to use it to bring glory to God and allow Him to bless.  So if I run into some money, I want to use it to glorify God.  If I am able to help out behind the scenes at events, I want to bring my best efforts.  If I can help someone who is unable to do something that I can do, I want to do the best job that I can so that God is honoured.  Let's be people who bring our best to God.  Let's cook a meal that is pleasing to the senses and let God be pleased and bless it.

No comments:

Post a Comment