Friday, October 12, 2012

It All Adds Up

I found myself singing another great hymn that I grew up on this morning.  It is funny how the old songs that I once mocked and made fun of when I was younger are the songs that I find myself going back to now that I am older.  There are some great truths in these old songs.

As I have made reference to in a couple of past posts, I am currently unemployed and searching for something to help support the finances of the household.  It can be very stressful some days.  I know that I am not alone in the trials of daily life.  Some of the people reading this are facing financial struggles.  Others may be fighting chronic pain or health issues.  Some people today are even grieving the loss of a loved one or possibly have deep concerns for a prodigal that is not living a life honouring God.

Whatever you are facing, I find that it helps to take a moment and reflect on what God has brought you through.  I think of times like when God had someone hand me money when times were tight.  I think of moments when someone dropped me a note to encourage me not fully knowing that I was disheartened in that point of my journey.  I remember moments when God caused third degree burns to have no effects on my skin.  I thank God for a time when I was so angry at Him that I told Him to get lost and leave me alone than climb the stairs far enough to hear my father, in his daily devotions, praying for me and asking God to keep me close to Him.  I turned around, and back in my room, repented for my foolishness.  I could go on and on, but I'm sure by now you understand what I am trying to say.

So as I think about all God has done for me, that brings me back to my hymn that I am singing this morning.  It goes like this:
When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done. 
REFRAIN:
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your Man blessings, see what God hath done. 
Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by. 
When you look at others with their lands of gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings money cannot buy,
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high. 
So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end. 
Count Your Blessings
Johnson Oatman, Jr., pub 1897

No matter what you are facing today, remember that God loves you and that He is with you in every area of your life.  Remind yourself of things that God has done for you in the past and remember that He is always with you even when you're feeling alone.  Count your blessings ... you'll be surprised how quickly it all adds up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment