Monday, October 15, 2012

Dinner for Two

I came home from work last night and my wife had made an amazing dinner which included candles and no one else ... except the dog.  It was a very nice surprise.  It isn't that she doesn't usually make dinner, but the fact that she took the extra effort to have the candles and place settings just made it extra special.  It was a great time together of conversation and dreaming of the future together and just over all, connecting with one another.

It got me thinking, how many times do we set the table in our personal lives to spend time with God?  I must confess that I have on a number of occasions rushed my personal devotion time with God.    I have squeezed my time in with Him while rushing in the morning or even skipped it in the morning vowing to "make time" later on in the day.  Time with God should never be something we do out of convenience.  It should be something we do because it is a necessity.  Every morning, I make time to grab a shower, get dressed and usually eat.  There are times when one of those things doesn't happen, but I will always make time throughout the day for me.  The reality is, that when we don't make time for God, we are starving our spiritual appetite and ultimately throwing off the much needed balance in our lives.

In the book of Isaiah, we are reminded that, "the strength of those who wait with hope in the LORD will be renewed.  They will soar on wings like eagles.  They will run and won't become weary.  They will walk and won't grow tired"(Isaiah 40:31).  I love how this version says "wait with hope"(GWT).  It is a reminder that when we come into the presence of Almighty God, that we can come into His presence with expectation.  We can come with faith.  But we have to come.  If we never make time for God, then the table should only be set for one person.

If you are waiting for God to do something in your life today, make time for Him each and every day.  Set aside specific time where you can "wait with hope" for God to do something great.  He wants to have dinner with you, you just need to set the table.  The conversation will take off from there and you will be amazed at what God has to say to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment