Sunday, October 21, 2012

Call of Encouragement

Have you ever been in one of those ruts where you feel like God has forgotten about you?  Have you ever gone through a time of disappointment and you just don't understand where God was in the whole situation?

I don't know how many times over the course of the last four to five years that someone has contacted me when I have been struggling or going through a hard time.  When I was ready to throw in the towel or just plain tired of the struggle, someone would call or email with a simple message of encouragement and remind me that God was still thinking of me.  It never ceases to amaze me each time it happens.  Think about it for a minute: Almighty God, the Creator of the universe cares about what I am going through enough to push someone to send a quick message to me at my time of weakness.  It really is a humbling thought.

I've been reading through the book of Job in my devotions and my thoughts keep coming back to the fact that God allowed Job to go through his struggle.  He actually even handpicked him and pointed him out to Satan when he said, "Have you noticed my servant Job?"(Job 1:8).  Then after Job had lost everything, God yet again focused Job out and said to Satan once more, "Have you noticed my servant Job?"(Job 2:3).  God knew in advance exactly what Job could handle and he knew that though Satan may try to get him to falter, Job would remain faithful.  He knew exactly what Job could handle.

There is a humbling thought to be considered in all of this.  When we go through trials, difficulties, struggles and times of frustration, we need to remember that God sees all that we face and He knows what we are going through.  Paul tells us in his letter to the Corinthians,
"The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.  And God is faithful.  He will not allow the temptation to be more that you can stand.  When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure"(I Corinthians 10:13).
God makes a way, where it seems that all hope is lost.  God makes provision, when it seems your bank account is all but empty.  God provides healing even when the doctors tell you that you're as good as dead.  God sends people into our lives when we feel all alone.


God is faithful!

No matter what you are going through today, realize that God is with you.  He loves you and He is faithful to bring you through.  He might use someone to speak into your life and encourage you OR he might use you to speak into someone else's life.  Be willing to be used and watch how God steps in to change the situation.  Make the call and encourage someone.  Send the email and brighten someone's spirits.  You never know just how much your simple act of kindness can change the course of what the other person is facing.  They will greatly benefit from it and so will you.

No comments:

Post a Comment