Monday, September 20, 2010

On The Road Again

The last few months have been a learning experience for me.  I have had to learn to 'relax' and 'be' which isn't always easy for someone who is a "get to the goal" type of person.

About four years ago, I applied for a job as a youth pastor and the senior pastor started using this terminology of "let's journey together".  It was the first time I had really heard something like that and it kind of caught me off guard.  I had always pictured Christianity and life as a goal driven endeavour and not really as a journey to experience.  Over the few years, this man drove home the idea of life as a journey and not a destination.

A few months back, I had the privilege of driving up to and back from Bon Echo Provincial Park.  As I was driving, I started to realize that I had started going for the goal again and not enjoying the journey.  In a traffic jam, I was following a car with a young couple in it and the driver was swinging around every once in a while and checking out the back seat and the passenger, she had her feet firmly planted out the window.  What I didn't notice at first was a tiny pair of hands that kept popping up.  The young man in the driver's seat was a dad and his attention was being distracted by him playing with his son in the back seat.  I was mesmerized by this young family and how they really weren't caught up in the traffic jam, but rather caught up in enjoying each other.  They were enjoying the journey without a care in the world.

I have since then caught myself, even today, getting caught up in the destination of things.  I just want to get here.  I just want to accomplish this.  I just want my life to look like this.  However, I need to 'relax' and 'be' who God has created me to be and enjoy the journey.  I need to enjoy the process of getting from point 'A' to point 'B'.  I need to relish the moments of my life and not miss the view as I travel through traffic jams and roadblocks. 

So, today I remind myself that as I journey, to look around, relax and just be.  I'm sure I'll have to do this again sometime soon, but until then life is good.  The road that I am on is a good road.

No comments:

Post a Comment